- Title Pages
- List of Maps
- 1 Projecting Power in the Early Modern World
- I Military, Cultural, and Diplomatic Exchange in the Imperial-Indigenous Encounter
- 2 Gaining the Diplomatic Edge
- 3 The Military Revolution of Native North America
- 4 Revolution, Evolution, or Devolution
- II Warrior Peoples and Uniform Recruits in Old World Empires
- 5 Muscovite-Nomad Relations on the Steppe Frontier before 1800 and the Development of Russia’s “Inclusive” Imperialism
- 6 Ottoman Ethnographies of Warfare, 1500–1800
- III Variations: Types of Indigenous-Imperial Alliances in the Atlantic Empires
- 7 Firearms, Diplomacy, and Conquest in Angola
- 8 The Opportunities and Limits of Ethnic Soldiering
- 9 Deploying Tribes and Clans
- 10 “Cleansing the Land”
- Empires and Indigenes
- NYU Press
NYU Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.