General Editors: Monica J. Casper and Lisa Jean Moore
Missing Bodies: The Politics of Visibility Monica J. Casper and Lisa Jean Moore
Against Health: How Health Became the New Morality Edited by Jonathan M. Metzl and Anna Kirkland
Is Breast Best? Taking on the Breastfeeding Experts and the New High Stakes of Motherhood Joan B. Wolf
Biopolitics: An Advanced Introduction Thomas Lemke
The Material Gene: Gender, Race, and Heredity after the Human Genome Project Kelly E. Happe
Cloning Wild Life: Zoos, Captivity, and the Future of Endangered Animals Carrie Friese
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS
New York and London
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS
- New York and London
- © 2013 by New York University
- All rights reserved
- References to Internet websites (URLs) were accurate at the time of writing.
- Neither the author nor New York University Press is responsible for URLs that
- may have expired or changed since the manuscript was prepared.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Friese, Carrie.
- Cloning wild life : zoos, captivity, and the future of endangered animals / Carrie Friese.
- pages cm
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8147-2908-3 (cl : alk. paper) — ISBN 978-1-4798-3638-3 (pb : alk. paper)
- 1. Cloning. 2. Endangered species. I. Title.
- QH442.2.F75 2013
- 571.9’646—dc23 2013009420
- New York University Press books are printed on acid-free paper,
- and their binding materials are chosen for strength and durability.
- We strive to use environmentally responsible suppliers and materials
- to the greatest extent possible in publishing our books.
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1