- Title Pages
- 1 Patristic Theologies of Salvation
- 2 Origen of Alexandria
- 3 Irenaeus of Lyons
- 4 Saint Augustine
- 5 Athanasius
- 6 The Cappadocians
- 7 Theologies of Salvation in the Middle Ages
- 8 Anselm of Canterbury
- 9 Saint Thomas Aquinas
- 10 Julian of Norwich
- 11 Theologies of Salvation in the Reformation and Counter-Reformation
- 12 Martin Luther
- 13 John Calvin
- 14 The Catholic Reform
- 15 Theologies of Salvation from the Eighteenth to Twenty-First Centuries
- 16 John Wesley
- 17 Friedrich Schleiermacher’s Theology of Salvation
- 18 Karl Barth
- 19 Hans Urs von Balthasar and Karl Rahner
- 20 Gustavo Gutiérrez
- About the Contributors
- (p.344) 20 Gustavo Gutiérrez
- Christian Theologies of Salvation
- Michael Edward Lee
- NYU Press
This chapter explains the soteriology of Gustavo Gutiérrez, one of the founders of liberation theology. Gutiérrez’s theology of salvation is centered around the communion of humans with one another and with God, found not necessarily in a forensic declaration, meritorious works, or exclusive claim to an economic transaction, but in relationship with God the Father who produces human flourishing.
NYU Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.