- Title Pages
- List of Figures, Maps, and Tables
- A Note on Method
- 1 “For the best ordering of the militia”
- 2 The Massachusetts Bay Militia and the Practice of Impressment during King Philip’s War
- 3 Many Men, Many Choices
- 4 Few Men, Few Options
- 5 The Pressed Men of Essex County
- 6 The Effects of Impressment
- Appendix 1 The Soldiers of Essex County in King Philip’s War, 1675–1676
- Appendix 2 Rowley’s 1662 Tax List: Ranked by Family with Soldiers’ Families Highlighted
- Appendix 3 Topsfield’s 1668 Tax List: Ranked by Family with Soldiers’ Families Highlighted
- Appendix 4 An Examination of the Age of Essex County Soldiers and Officers in King Philip’s War, 1675–1676
- Appendix 5 The Occupations of the Soldiers of Essex County, 1675–1676
- Abbreviations Used in the Notes
- Selected Bibliography
- About the Author
NYU Press Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.
To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs, and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us.