(p.iii) Lotions, Potions, Pills, and Magic
NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS
New York and London
- © 2012 by New York University
- All rights reserved
- References to Internet websites (URLs) were accurate at the time of writing.
- Neither the author nor New York University Press is responsible for URLs that
- may have expired or changed since the manuscript was prepared.
- LIBRARY OF CONGRESS CATALOGING-IN-PUBLICATION DATA
- Breslaw, Elaine G., 1932-
- Lotions, potions, pills, and magic : health care in early America / Elaine Breslaw.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978-0-8147-8717-5 (cloth : alk. paper)
- ISBN 978-0-8147-8718-2 (e-book)
- ISBN 978-0-8147-3938-9 (e-book)
- 1. Medicine—United States—History—18th century. 2. Medicine—United States—
- History—19th century. 3. Medical care—United States—History—18th century. 4. Medical
- care—United States—History—19th century. 5. Physicians—United States—History—18th
- century. 6. Physicians—United States—History—19th century. 7. Public health—United
- States—History—18th century. 8. Public health—United States—History—19th century.
- 9. United States—Social conditions—To 1865. I. Title.
- R152.B725 2012
- New York University Press books are printed on acid-free paper,
- and their binding materials are chosen for strength and durability.
- We strive to use environmentally responsible suppliers and materials
- to the greatest extent possible in publishing our books.
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1