NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS
New York and London
- NEW YORK UNIVERSITY PRESS
- New York and London
- © 2012 by New York University
- All rights reserved
- References to Internet websites (URLs) were accurate at the time of writing.
- Neither the author nor New York University Press is responsible for URLs
- that may have expired or changed since the manuscript was prepared.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Armstead, Myra Beth Young
- Freedom’s gardener : James F. Brown, horticulture, and
- the Hudson Valley in antebellum America / Myra B. Young Armstead.
- p. cm.
- Includes bibliographical references and index.
- ISBN 978–0–8147–0510–0 (cl : alk. paper)
- ISBN 978–0–8147–0791–3 (ebook)
- ISBN 978–0–8147–0792–0 (ebook)
- 1. Brown, James Francis, 1793–1868. 2. African Americans—Social conditions—
- Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.)—19th century. 3. Free blacks—Hudson River Valley
- (N.Y. and N.J)—Biography. 4. Gardeners—Hudson River Valley (N.Y. and N.J.)—
- Biography. 5. Fugitive slaves—Maryland—Biography. 6. Hudson River Valley
- (N.Y. and N.J.)—History—19th century. 7. Hudson River Valley (N.Y.) and N.J.)—
- Biography. I. Title.
- F127.H8A76 2011
- 635.092—dc23 [B] 2011028251
- New York University Press books are printed on acid-free paper,
- and their binding materials are chosen for strength and durability.
- We strive to use environmentally responsible suppliers and materials
- to the greatest extent possible in publishing our books.
- Manufactured in the United States of America
- 10 9 8 7 6 5 4 3 2 1